Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Sepia Saturday

I found a fun new past time for Saturdays! It's called Sepia Saturday and it's a linky party at 
http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com


You know I'm in!


In searching through some old photos I came across one of my Grandmom and Grandpop
 on my mom's side, circa 1915. How far photography has come! In this picture you can just about see the outline of the tree on the right in the background. Nowadays you would see every detail in the bark, and every leaf!



I really don't remember my Gramdpop as he died when I was very young.
 But I remember Grandmom very well. Because my mom and us 3 kids lived at her house with her starting in 1960.
I remember always making a beeline thru her kitchen to get to the back yard so I could go out to play.
Her telling me to "Slow down young lady, what's your hurry?"
I have my Grandmom's wedding dress. She was married in 1910. One day I will take a pic of it to post. It is in great condition, except for one thing. There was a 5 inch square cut from it when I found it in my mother' s chest. And mom told me someone must have cut it for something old for the wedding tradition. Perhaps one of my aunts or their daughter's. 
She had 10 children. My mom and her sister Marge looked alot alike. The only one left now of those ten is my Uncle Bill I usually see him once a year down the shore, at Labor Day. last year I grilled him for all he could remember. And he has an amazing memory. 
I had to write it all down because he remembers so much.


I loved helping her grind up ham for hash with that old steal meat grinder we'd clamp onto the table.
And Grandmom did her chores all day except she took a 3 hour break each and every day to watch the soap operas from 12 to 3. "As the World Turns" so do the sands of time.... Anyone remember that?
And 2 others, maybe General Hospital. Then she went back to more chores. 


I remember when Grandmom took to her bed and died at home in her own room.
It was around the time  JFK was killed. Maybe 6 to 10 months prior. 
I think passing away at home with your loved ones near is a true blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when you read my blog and appreciate all your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

speak to me!

I read every one of your comments, and appreciate them so much. Thanks for stopping by my blog :)