Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A great Surprise in Key West Entertainment

Below is part of the 7 mile bridge that separates the upper and lower Keys.
We stopped on the other side for a bite of lunch at a very unique thatched roof restaurant, where any one can swim in the pool if they like!

For an arial view of this bridge in a previous post, click here

We had so much fun exploring the different Keys and especially Key West.
Going to Sloppy Joes, Captain Tony's bar that Hemmingway loved to hang out in, trying to guess where his favorite spot might have been. ( I love trying to do that sort of thing)

 And of course checking out Margarittaville ! I liked the look of their bar.



I have to say one of the highlights of our trip was finding this great talented rocker by the name of Gerd Rube.

He does such a variety of covers and has a bunch of original work that is sooooo good.
He is one singer that you don't want to miss.
We found him as we were heading home and his fantastic voice just lured us in.
I love what he does with Purple Rain



You can hear more of his music on his website.


We stayed until he finished his set.  I liked his style so much, I bought 2 CD's !
And he was gracious and obliged when I asked if he would take a picture with me.
This was a fun moment to capture on film. (Thanks to my sis, Mary Loiuse)



It was a unique bar called Willie T's where he was singing.  This bar has dollar bills all over the walls.
We just had to put one up. Our dollar is at the bar, right next to the stage, on the wall in the bottom right corner, just were the wall meets the bar wood.

He was an absolute joy. And one of his original songs called "The Florida Keys song" is destined to become a legend.



I'd say stopping in Willie T's to hear Gerd sing is a must do on anyones Florida Keys list


That was a great day and night!
We had stopped by Mallory square earlier to catch the sunset



And had dinner at Masons de Pepe where they have delicious food and Latin music nightly. And we got in a little dancing, which was a blast. In my book that usually can not be topped.
 But this rocker did top that. A unique hidden treasure of the Keys.

Earlier, we also visited the butterfly conservatory down by the "southernmost house"on Duval street. We were just walking by and noticed it. This was a really beautiful and peaceful visit with all kinds of pretty butterflies darting all around you, and sweet soothing music.

 I had a feeling one of the blue ones, ( which I was admiring the most) was going to land on me,
 and it did !!
It landed on my left shoulder and it stayed there for about 5 minutes! My sis caught these pics of it while it just sat there on my shoulder. A few other people caught photos of this too. It was really neat.

Just flapping her gorgeous wings! Sitting on my shoulder. Her wing span was about 4 inches.
It was fun to have this pretty creature embrace me!

There were also some beautiful birds in there, and well worth the visit. These 2 look to be a male and a female, but I don't know the species. They had spectacular colors!

I love how this one looked right into the lens for me!

These were some of my favorite things about my trip.
The unexpected pleasures that just pop up as you walk along.  Gerd Rube at Willie T's and the Butterfly conservatory.
The highlights of our trip to the Keys.
We also stopped in Key Largo for some pics at the bar where they filmed "Key Largo" and some sunset shots behind there. And snorkeling in the coral reef off Key Largo.
And Islamorada
I will post later about that.
Thanks for stopping by!

Posted in the Communal Global



Fabulous Finds Friday @ Frou Frou Decor
Favorite Things Friday @ A Few of My Favorite Things
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home x

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds like a wonderful trip! Reading through your post made me feel like I was along for the ride. :) That butterfly that landed on you is just gorgeous, what a beautiful shade of blue.

    SO glad you linked up with us at Communal Global... thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots! I remember driving that bridge as a kid! The bird pictures are so vibrant too!

    Tamar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had such a fun time. That butterfly is gorgeous. Fun times in Key West too and I enjoyed seeing that bridge again. It's been about 35 years since I've seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen! You know how to have a good time! WOW! I love your pictures of your trip! How fun! And your singer...he is something else
    : ) I am glad you could go on such a grand adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eileen, I 'found' you on Communal Global and saw all those Key West pics!!!! Beautiful! It's been a while since we were there.....got to get back!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow really nice blog, makes me miss Key West.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing this on FTF! We are planning a trip down there for May so it got me even more excited for it!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you read my blog and appreciate all your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

speak to me!

I read every one of your comments, and appreciate them so much. Thanks for stopping by my blog :)