Monday, April 11, 2011

Beaching up the Florida Kitchen

I wasn't nuts about the paint job in my Florida house kitchen. It happens to be a relatively stark combination of black and white from the previous owner.  The paint job was sort of a ragged on grey with black on top.
The way I felt is this... because the cabinets are a very stark white and the counter is black, the black and  white walls were just too much!

It felt like I was in  a big Oreo cookie!


Because I don't get here as often as I would like, except for the occasional spring break, or November break, lthat leaves me with no real time to make improvements that I have been dreaming of,  this is the way it has stayed.... for 5 years.

That's why I came this time for a month.
To make changes.

I'd like to tile over the stove but can't quite afford it yet. After all I just completely re-did my kitchen at home and that one had to wait for 12 years!!
You can read about the major kitchen re-do in Jersey here and here


But there are small changes I can do to make it a little more beachy.





So I started the process of painting the walls. Just a very soft grey, almost white.
And decided to accent with just a couple of starfish. And these cute tin tiles I found.

I love the old tin look.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here she is painted in a very soft grey.
I know I need to add some splashes of color in here.


I think if I add some  nice nickle pulls my cabinets would look so much better.
 Right now they have none. I don't really like that look, and besides they get a lot of fingerprints that way. But that will be another project for me.


I found the tin tiles, and a tin square basket for fruit, up in Venice Florida, when I went up there on a Saturday club mission directed by Sarah at "a beach cottage" to do a bit of boutique shopping. I was so delighted to find them because they are just the look I was seeking.




So goodbye Oreo cookie colors

For a softer gentler palette
Nice what a bit of paint and some refashioned old tin can do isn't it?

That was then

This is now.

Soothing the savage beach in me!

Thank you for stopping by!


posted in:

2 comments:

  1. What a transformation - isn't paint awesome? I love the little tin treasures you found :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! this looks wonderful!!! good job..the little tins look perfect with the starfish.
    So much brighter, and beachy.
    Debbie@lakehouse

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you read my blog and appreciate all your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

speak to me!

I read every one of your comments, and appreciate them so much. Thanks for stopping by my blog :)